Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Widow's Mite

I am so blessed. And I have so much. I have a family that loves me. I have my knowledge and the opportunity to increase that knowledge at a great university. I have wonderful roommates who are always taking care of me. I have a healthy body. I have ten fingers and ten toes. I can see. I can hear. I can speak. I can read. I have running water and electricity. I have parents who always bail me out. I have friends, here and far away, who are great examples to me. I have the word of God at my fingertips. I have the knowledge of the restored gospel!

The Widow's Mite is such an amazing story to me. She gave all she had. Everything. I don't think we realize the magnitude of this. She gave more because she gave all. And in return she will receive much more.

How often do I give back? How often do I give 50%? How often do I give 100%? How often do I give all that I have to those less fortunate? Not necessarily of my possessions, but just of my time or patience or love or knowledge. I have so much to offer and so much to give. I have been given so much. I have been so blessed. It shouldn't be that hard to give of what we have, should it? And we don't have to give it up, just use it. Share it. Why is it so hard then? Why are we selfish? Why are we prideful?

"We are only the custodians of what He has given us."
-James E. Faust

No comments:

Post a Comment