Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Ash Wednesday!

I noticed at work today when I was asking a patient her LMP that today is Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent. It is 46 days before Easter, so it is a different day each year. Ash Wednesday gets its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of the faithful as a sign of repentance. The ashes used are gathered after the Palm Crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned. It is a day of repentance. So anyway, happy ash!


P.S. Here's how Ash Wednesday was celebrated in Salt Lake

2 comments:

  1. hey!! I saw a bunch of people - this whole tour group - with those crosses on their foreheads and had no idea why they were there or what they meant. Thanks for educating me Cooney!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Lent this year, I have decided to give up sleep. Blogging is the vehicle I use to help me achieve my goal.

    ReplyDelete